10/07/17; Lesson 5: Response to "Cultural Paradigms"

Paradigms is the way that we perceive things around us and after watching the videos, I have been thinking a lot about Cultural Paradigms. We can't deny the fact that every culture is different. Sometimes we won't understand or agree with some cultures, but we all have to accept and respect.
I remember when I first got in the United States. Not realizing that I was making my friends uncomfortable, I kissed them on the cheek everyday, just like I did in my country, Brazil.
We teachers, have an important role in our ESL class. We received students from all over the world and it is important for us to know their culture. We need to be aware of it so we can ease the transition and make them feel welcome. I think it would be a great activity to set a date for each one of the students to share a little bit about their culture, so we all can get to know each other better.

Comentários

  1. Do you really think your friends felt uncomfortable because you kissed them?
    I went to Salt Lake City and I was introduced an American woman; she lived in Sao Paulo, the first thing she did, kissed me on the cheeks. She said she missed it a lot. hahahha
    I totally agree with you that teachers need to be careful how they act with students. I love the activity that you suggest.

    ResponderExcluir
  2. You are right, as teachers we need to be aware of our students' culture. I loved your suggestion about an activity that allows our students share their culture.

    ResponderExcluir
  3. Thank you for sharing your personal experiences. This is important for us to read. Good ideas for addressing culture in the classroom.

    ResponderExcluir

Postar um comentário

Postagens mais visitadas