Is the Great American Teacher Dead?

09/16/17 BYU-Lesson 01: Response to "Is the Great American Teacher Dead?

This week, I had a great opportunity to read an excellent article called “Is the great American teacher dead?” This article got me thinking about the way that we teachers teach and how the students are being affected by it.
I have been a teacher for two years, and I know how hard it is to catch all the student’s attention at the same time, and so Dr. Ivers gave us great tips about how we can better engage our students and get great results.
A ten-minute-rule is a great tip in my opinion. The way a class is started counts a lot and I can totally see this rule working! If an exciting, interesting and engaging thing is inserted into the lesson, the magic happens and the students will feel more engaged to learn the lesson.
I’ve never realized before how enthusiasm can totally make a difference in our classroom, as that Dr. Ivers sayd: “A teacher’s enthusiasm is contagious. Students are most likely to enjoy learning about a subject when the teacher demonstrates their love and excitement for the subject.” I couldn’t agree more! The way we teach and conduct the class must demonstrate how glad and inspired we are about it. I mean, how can a student pay attention when we (teachers) are not even interested about what we are talking about?
I also liked the tips on how to make things meaningful and make connections with what we are teaching. Dr. Ivers quoted about the environment that we teach: “The acquisition of knowledge is profoundly impacted by the emotional environment in which it takes place.  A positive teacher-student relationship and the enhancement of a positive student self-concept are extremely important.  People do not learn or perform well if they do not feel emotionally safe.” As I read it, I can see that the classroom environment can affect the way a student learns and feels, besides, if a student is learning under pressure, when the pressure is gone, he/she will forget everything that was taught.


Thank you all for reading!

Comentários

  1. Hi there!
    This is Alison from TESOL 103. As I read your post, I couldn't help to agree with you. I also think the Ten Minute Rule can be of great help to create a very engaging atmosphere. I'm a new teacher, so I hope you don mind me asking: What kinds of activities do you think will work well for Ten Minute Rule? And, how can we make students feel emotionally safe?

    ResponderExcluir
  2. what makes me reflect a lot was how much we as a teacher can affect the class environment to improve learning performance of the students. That would makes me think twice to give more importance in the things that matter most

    ResponderExcluir
  3. Stefane
    I liked your post very much!
    One of my favourite takeaways from the article is that "teaching is an artistic science"

    ResponderExcluir

Postar um comentário

Postagens mais visitadas